Senior Software Developer
Full Time - Rochester, NY
At Measures for Justice (MFJ), our mission is to use data to measure and understand county-level criminal justice system performance in America. We collect, clean, code, and analyze county-level data to provide consistent, comparable, reliable, and objective performance measures across the entire criminal justice system, from arrest to post-conviction, on a county-by-county basis. You can learn more about our work here: www.measuresforjustice.org.
Measures for Justice is seeking to hire a senior software developer to assist in our mission of delivering criminal justice data to our public data portal. In this role you will work with our Director of Data Engineering, Data Scientists, Researchers and technology team to design software to extend and scale our data processing infrastructure.
- Lead the development of an internal suite of research tools to assist in cleaning and coding data.
- Build tools and processes to collect and integrate data from web APIs or datastores.
- Create programming APIs for analyzing, validating, normalizing, restructuring and fixing data.
- Operationalize Machine Learning algorithms and processes to classify data.
Skills & Experience:
- An experienced software developer who provides leadership and mentors all other developers on the team.
- Demonstrable experience delivering products on web and back-end web services.
- Strong design and critical thinking skills, with knowledge of software development best practices.
- Experience designing programming APIs and utility libraries.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, especially compute and storage.
- Solid experience with different programming languages, libraries, tools and software development technologies. Java required, interest in learning Kotlin.
- Experience with low-level file access and data transformation algorithms.
- Computer Science Degree or Equivalent
- Prior professional experience working for a criminal justice agency is not required but it is prioritized.
- 5 to 10 years professional software development experience.
As a Developer, you are one of our most valuable assets. We provide state of the art hardware and software to help you get the job done. Our Rochester, NY, office space is close to all the things the city has to offer and is bike and bus accessible.
MFJ is committed to equality and inclusion. We support applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and a casual work environment. Our office is wheelchair accessible.
If you are interested, please please send an email to email@example.com. We will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
It is the policy of Measures for Justice to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Measures for Justice will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to equity and inclusion and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.