Head of People Operations
Full Time - Rochester, NY
At Measures for Justice (MFJ), we have pioneered a new way to use data to measure criminal justice system performance in America. We collect, clean, code, and analyze county-level data to provide information on the whole system from arrest to post-conviction, on a county-by-county basis. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to do good and be involved in cutting edge research and technology. We have challenged the status quo nationally and become a groundbreaker.
About the Role
The Head of People Operations fosters strong culture and values throughout the organization to support and scale HR needs for a growing nonprofit of 40+ staff. This person recruits top talent and then provides ongoing professional growth support, coordinates team and culture building events, and ensures information flows freely across the organization. People Ops also makes sure that behind the scenes the machine runs smoothly so that MFJ’s programmatic initiatives and budgets stay on time and in sync with the operating and financial plans. In sum, this person does anything needed to support every individual and team at Measures for Justice.
What You Will Do
- Live by and lead through our cultural code and core values, including Respect, Transparency, Rigor, and Excellence -- making sure MFJ and employees embody its aspirations.
- Develop scalable people-related processes, operations, and solutions including but not limited to recruitment, professional and performance development, on- and off-boarding, employee satisfaction/relations, compensation, benefits, and compliance.
- Oversee People-related concerns, for all employees. Be a confidential and welcoming resource and develop strong relationships across the organization to strengthen People Ops' involvement. Play an instrumental role in helping drive employee satisfaction, including a sense of overall engagement, unity, cohesion, and trust.
- Help create infrastructure and culture that supports employee diversity.
- Work closely with the CEO and Executive of Operations by providing leverage in moving projects forward – gathering information, communicating with different parties, developing and monitoring plans, keeping track of responsibilities, tracking completion of commitments, and so on.
- Ensure that staff are provided job training and professional development, performance evaluations, coaching, and counseling as needed.
- Advise the Executive of Ops to ensure consistent compensation models across teams that support the recruitment, retention, and productivity of staff.
- Model, promote, and set accountability for a fair and communicative culture and an engaged workforce. Monitor staff engagement and initiate actions to ensure a high level of engagement.
The successful candidate will be a strong HR and operations leader with a track record of working cooperatively and collegially within a busy environment in a small to mid-size company.
The candidate must have
- Seven to ten years relevant work experience including substantial work at a managerial level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with staff and management, alike.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a sizeable organization with multiple departments.
- Key attributes:
- Extremely organized.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong EQ and interpersonal skills.
- Mastery of managing complex projects across multiple departments.
- Candidate must live in or be willing to move to Rochester, NY.
Bonus (But Not Required)
- Expertise in a data or tech company.
- MBA and/or HR certification.
MFJ is committed to equality and inclusion. We support applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We offer competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and a casual work environment. Our office is wheelchair accessible.
Please apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: People Position
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
It is the policy of Measures for Justice to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Measures for Justice will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to equity and inclusion and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.