Director, Strategic Products and Services
Full Time - Rochester, NY - (Remote possible for perfect candidate)
Measures for Justice is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization that is on a mission to make good criminal justice data available and to hold the system accountable and spur reform. We’ve got world class criminal justice data and technology chops. And a culture that demands excellence, rigor and people who like to make good ideas come to life.
To make it happen, we deploy three strategies:
- We show people what criminal justice looks like across the country via our free, interactive Data Portal;
- We help standardize and improve criminal justice data via work on the state and national level;
- We help put criminal justice data to work with tools, services, and research.
Since 2011, we have pioneered a methodology to compare how different justice systems perform on the county level and led the charge to improve county-level criminal justice data. We have strong support from prominent philanthropists, in particular from leading technology entrepreneurs and criminal justice foundations across the country, as well as from system practitioners and policymakers nationwide.
As the Director of Strategic Products & Services, you will work with MFJ leadership, staff, and stakeholders to create and lead the strategy and execution of the organization’s revenue-generating products and services (“RGPs”) that are essential for future growth and revenue diversification. These RGPs will be offered to a range of criminal justice stakeholders including county DA offices, individual prosecutors, and county courts, and will reflect MFJ’s social impact mission. The RGPs will be engaging, inspire regular use, and solve real needs of customers. They will be rich with compelling, localized, and actionable data, flexible to adjust to the changing requirements of different stakeholders, and scalable to generate demonstrable value for customers and MFJ. As the Director, you will be a core member of the MFJ Leadership Team and will have “P&L responsibility” for the RGP product/service line within the broader MFJ portfolio of offerings.
In order to accomplish this work, you will:
- Identify opportunities for new products; pitch them internally; and roadmap how they get developed and rolled out.
- Ensure that roadmaps align with organizational strategy and are executed within an agreed upon time frame.
- Play a key role in conducting stakeholder interviews, mapping their user stories, and developing user journey maps. * You will use this information to help us define features and set priorities.
- Partner with communications and strategy leadership to push information about new features and products out to the communities they are designed to serve, as well as to help funders understand the potential for community impact.
- Help leadership understand how the products or services fulfill strategic objectives.
- Anticipate challenges or risks that may be created by proposed changes.
- Provide opportunities for staff to contribute to the product-creation process. Create avenues for the sharing of ideas, as well as product change requests.
- Manage expectations around the change process and communicate strategic rationale for which ideas are adopted.
- Work with key staff to create timelines for project completion. Own the process of internal communication among teams as to progress toward goal completion.
- Research, develop, and test pricing models. Work with key stakeholders to understand when additional features or products would fit within their own goals and budget needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or scientific discipline or comparable combination of education and experience. MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of product management or commercial product leadership experience in a digital products company or nonprofit. Preference given to experience providing solutions to government sector customers and/or large businesses.
- Experience building and leading product management teams and collaborating closely with product engineering resources.
- Project management experience within a software development environment highly preferred.
- Strong UX/UI instincts and competencies; strong understanding of best methods for research and testing of customer requirements.
- Experience and proven abilities to interact directly with potential and current customers and help lead initial selling efforts with early adopters.
- Ability to create clear product plans including financial projections and drivers.
- Demonstrated time management skills, including the ability to prioritize a large number of ongoing activities.
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills. Proven ability to communicate effectively across teams and gain buy-in related to shared goals.
- Proven ability to communicate key messages to leadership and external stakeholders.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently, problem solve, produce and prioritize quality work. Knowledge of or interest in criminal justice is preferred.
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: Director, Strategic Products and Services.